FAQ on Pension as per Central Civil Services – Qualifying Service

FAQ on Pension as per Central Civil Services – Qualifying Service

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
(Central Civil Services)


(2.1) Does all leave period qualify for pension and gratuity?

All leave for which leave salary is payable qualifies for pension and gratuity. Extraordinary leave (EOL) on medical certificate (MC) also qualifies for pension and gratuity. EOL without MC qualifies only on account of inability to join duty on civil commotion or when granted for a higher scientific & technical study qualifies.

(2.2) Is the benefit of counting of past service under Rule 19 available to ex-serviceman re-employed to civil service / post?

An ex-serviceman re-employed to the Civil Post / service on or before 31/12/2003 is covered under the CCS (Pension) Rules, 1972. Therefore the benefit of Rule 19 also becomes automatically available to him. An ex-serviceman re-employed in civil service on or after 1/1/2004 is covered by the National Pension System and is not covered under the CCS (Pension) Rules, 1972. Therefore the benefit of Rule 19 is not available to the exserviceman on re-employment on or after 1/1/2004.

(2.3) What happens to the past service of a Govt. servant (appointed before 1.1.2004) who resigns to take up, with proper permission, another appointment under the Govt.?

Under Rule 26 (2) “A resignation shall not entail forfeiture of past service if it has been submitted to take up, with proper permission, another appointment, whether temporary or permanent, under the Government where service qualifies”. This also applies to a Govt. servant who joined Govt. service before 1/1/2004 and takes up another appointment in the Govt., on or after 1.1.2004.

(2.4) What is the impact of resignation (other than technical resignation) on qualifying service and pension?

Resignation (other than technical resignation) entails forfeiture of past service. Therefore, no pension is payable on such resignation.

(2.5) Will a Government servant who joined Central/State/Autonomous Body before 01.01.2004 be eligible for pension under CCS(Pension) Rules, if he takes up another appointment in Central/State/Autonomous Body after 01.01.2004 by submitting technical resignation in his previous organisation?

Yes, it has been clarified in Department of Pension & Pensioners Welfare OM No 28/30/2004-P&PW(B) dated 26.07.2005 and 28.10.2009 that employees appointed before 01.01.2004 who were governed by Old Pension Scheme of their respective Governments/Organisation will be eligible to continue in Old Pension Scheme, if such scheme exists in new organization, where such employee submits resignation to take up new appointment with proper permission.

(2.6) Is the service rendered by an employee in Public Sector Undertakings(PSUs) counted for pension on moving to Central Government?

As per OM no 28/24/94-P&PW(B) dated 13.09.1996, the service rendered in Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) before joining service under the Government is not counted for the purpose of pension in Government.

[This may be noted for below 10 years qualifying service of government employees/ex-service men those who are joined another Government Institutions from 1/1/2004 they are not entitled for PENSION. But they are comes under National Pension Scheme in that their basic pay now as 14%. is to be deducted as their SAVINGS in their total service after retirement.]


Popular posts from this blog

7th CPC Pay Fixation on Promotion/MACP Calculator with Matrix Table

Central Government Office Holiday List 2023 - DoPT Order PDF Download

Revised Pay Scale from 1.7.2017 for Karnataka Govt Employees