FAQ on Study Leave - Dopt Orders

Dopt has issued orders as FAQ regarding the subject of Study Leave...

Study Leave

SI. No. / Frequently asked Questions / Answer 

1. What is the maximum amount of study leave which can be availed? 
The maximum amount of study leave for other than CHS officers is restricted to twenty four months during the entire service period and ordinarily it can be allowed for upto twelve months at a time. (Rule 51(1)}. For CHS officers the ceiling is for 36 months for acquiring PG qualifications. (Rule 51(2)}. 

2. Whether study leave can be clubbed with other leave? 
Yes. Study leave may be combined with other kinds of leave, but in no case shall be grant of this leave in combination with leave, other than extraordinary leave involve a total absence of more than twenty eight months generally and thirty-six months for the courses leading to PhD. degree from the regular duties of the Government servant. (Rule 54) 

3. What is the validity period of bond to be executed by the Government servant while proceeding on study leave? 
Government servant is required to execute a bond to serve the Government for a period of three years after expiry of study leave. For CHS officers the period is five years. (Rule 55). 

4. Whether a Govt. servant who has been granted study leave may be allowed to resign to take up a post in other Ministries/ Department of the Central Govt. within the bond period? 
As per rule 50(5) (iii), a Govt. servant has to submit a bond to serve the Govt. for a period of 3 years. As the Govt. servant would still be serving Government in a Department other than parent Department, he may be allowed to submit his resignation to take up another post within the Central Govt. if he had applied for the post through proper channel. 

Source: www.persmin.nic.in


GURU said…
I have applied for study leave for 24 months. If I am not able to clear the exams in first attempt will it affect to join back in duty or else i have to pay the bond amount.
Anonymous said…
Dear guru sir i am also willing to study. Plz guide me. I am a Group C employee of income tax department
Anonymous said…
I have applied for study leave for 24 months.i got course completion certificate and NOC from college to join back duty. If I am not able to clear the exams in first attempt. i joined back in duty.i have not appeared again for the exam.will i have to pay the bond amount? what will be the action taken??
Anonymous said…
i am also in the same position.after availing study leave for 2 yrs i failed in the exam and i could not reappear for the exam due to personal reasons.waht action will be taken against me in this situation??
Anonymous said…
Hello Sir,
I am group C Employee in India Post and I wish to do Ph.D as I have qualified for Junior Research Fellowship of UGC.
Please guide me regarding Study Leave rules.
eamil- bharatdewasi100@gmail.com
Anonymous said…
I am working as Assistent professor in Central University and want to do the PhD in the same university. In our university we have to take only 6 months study leave. In this regard I want to submit;
1. Can I take 6 months study leave in my own organisatio to do my course work.
2. I have completed 3 year regular service in university.
3. If I applied for study leave and university did not respond for the same for two months and I joined the course work after informing the higher authority (same university where I am serving) but till date university has not isued me study leave? What should I do now.
Unknown said…
A new joined employee can take sudy leave within a year ???, / After how many years of service we can take study leave ???
NN Reddy said…
I have taken 2 year study leave up to Feb 2016. How much do I repay in case I wish to leave service in the next few months? Does the repayment amount gets reduced on pro-rata basis against the time served after finishing the study leave?
Anonymous said…
If an employee wishes to retire without putting in three years service after study leave, does he pay back on pro-rata basis or the complete emoluments for two year study leave period?
Anonymous said…
Please tell the procedure for taking 2year study leave. I am group c employee in India post.

Popular posts from this blog

Central Government Office Holiday List 2023 - DoPT Order PDF Download

Revised Pay Scale from 1.7.2017 for Karnataka Govt Employees

7th CPC Pay Fixation on Promotion/MACP Calculator with Matrix Table