Introduction of child care leave in respect of Central Government employees as per recommeded in the sixth Central Pay Commission, women employees having minor children may be granted CCL by an authority competent to grant leave for a maximum period of 730 days during their enitre service for taking care of up to two children, whether for rearing or to look after any of their needs like examination, scikness etc. Hence Earned Leave availed specifically for this purpose only should be converted. Child Care Leave shall not be admissible if the child is eighteen years of age or older.

On recommendations of sixth pay commission, the CCL was announced to help women employees to take better care of their children and family. But the privilege backfired to several central government departments being like a hill with applications from women employees for CCL. After consideration of all the views, Dopt declared, 'CCL can be availed only if the employee concerned has no Earned Leave in her account. Those who have already taken the CCL will either have to return to office or part with their accumulated with Earned Leave'.

In further, Dopt orders said that "CCL cannot be demanded as a matter of right. Under no circumstances can any employee proceed on CCL without prior proper approval of the leave by the leave sanctioning authority. The leave is to be treated like the Earned Leave and sanctioned as such. Consequently, Saturdays, Sundays, Gazetted holidays etc. falling during the period of leave would also count for CCL, as in the case of Earned Leave. CCL can be availed only if the employee concerned has no Earned Leave at her credit.

and also instrcuted as "CCL may not be granted in more than 3 spells in a calendar year. CCL may not be granted for less than 15 days. CCL should not ordinarily be granted during the probation period except in case of certain extreme situations where the leave sanctioning authority is fully satisfied about the need of Child Care Leave to the probationer. It may also be ensured that the period for which this leave is sanctioned during probation is minimal.

We have compiled some important orders published by Dopt and Finance Ministry regarding the above subject and given below for your ready reference...

1. Clarification on the admissibility of House Rent Allowance (HRA) during the Child Care Leave (CCL) - Reg.

2. Extension of orders for grant of Child Care Leave to all Civilian Female Industrial Employees of the Central Government

3. Grant of Child Care Leave to State Government employees

4. Grant of Child Care Leave to Civilian Female Industrial Employees of Defence Establishments

5. CCS (Leave) (Fourth Amendment) Rules, 2011.

6. Sanction of Child Care Leave: Instructions regarding

7. Acceptance of Recommendation of the Sixth Central Pay Commission relating to introduction of Child Care Leave

8. Child Care Leave to Central Government employees - Clarification regarding

9. Child Care Leave in respect of female railway employees as a result of SCPC recommendations - Clarification regarding

10. Child Care Leave for Central Government employees - Clarification

11. Child Care Leave in respect of Central Government employees as a result of Sixth Central Pay Commission clarilication regarding

12. Child Care Leave in respect of Central Government employees as a result of Sixth Central Pay Commission recommendations — Clarification

13. Clarification: Child Care Leave (CCL)


Anonymous said…
is this a latest order
Neetu said…
can u please provide with the government notification regarding child care leave 'CCL can be availed only if the employee concerned has no Earned Leave in her account. Those who have already taken the CCL will either have to return to office or part with their accumulated with Earned Leave'.as earlier this rule was but later on an amendment was there . is there any new amendment?????/ can u please provide with the notification
Anonymous said…
Is a woman employee, who is not living with her husband, taking alimony, whose son is under his father's custody since a long time (8 to 9 years) eligible for availing Child Care Leave?
I have, in my knowledge, a case where such a woman is availing CCL again and again even when the recommending authority knows about her aforesaid family status.
Anonymous said…
this is just a report. it does not carry any oo no nor does it has any signatures. what is the validity of this report? it is creating a lot of confusion and the sanctioning authorities are harassing the women employees due to this wrong info & either not sanctioning ccl or are pressurizing by deducting earned leave
Anonymous said…
Wheather Child care leave may be sanctioned if a woman employee has sufficient ELs in her credit? All woman employees are being CCL on demand though they have ELs at College of Fisheries, Central Agricultural University, Lembucherra, Tripura- 799210.
Anonymous said…
Anonymous said…
"CCL can't be demanded as a matter of right, and under no circumstances can any employee proceed on CCL without prior approval of leave by the leave sanctioning authority"- This clause is included in CCL rules but is it justice? Out of 12 women employees (including me) of my organisation, 11 women employee had been recommended and sanctioned CCL whenever they needed it but not me. Even after applying for CCL well in advance to look after the dire needs of my child, my leaves have neither been recommended by the same recommending authority nor sanctioned. Whenever I had proceeded on leave to look after my child's need all my pay and allowances have been deducted. Are only 11 of my colleagues mothers and their children need being taken care of? Am I not a mother and don't I need to look after my child? I want an answer to this from DOPT. How can I get my deducted pay and allowances?
Unknown said…
Respected sir ,
This blog is very help full to all the Govt employees...

Now i had a problem with my mothers Child care leaves, kindly help me in this process.

She is a Central govt employee(Ministry of Defence) worked as a IE (Laborer)

->In October 2003, it has been diagnosed that she was suffering from Rectum cancer stage-II and held Radiation and chemotherapy treatment and operated.

->Further the same has been found to be recurred in 2005 & 2007, for that she had undergone Radiation and Chemotherapy treatment. Further the same has been Recurred Again in 2009. As advised by the doctor her regular treatment (i.e. chemotherapy for stage-IV Advanced) was continued till 2011

->Having no other option my mother compelled to take Medical Board Out from organization in June 2011.
Now from the year 2010 jan, she has taken CCL for her treament till June 2011 with the prior sanction of the respected officers. And then she is been medically boarded out from the service.
And in 2012 she passed away(Expired) due to her cancer problem,now at the time of auditing of her service record they raised an objection as she is not eligible for CCL. So the entire amount paid through the CCL i.e As salary to her from 2010 to 2011 is to be recovered. As she is been expired on 2012, the GPF amount which is the only amount of my mother which we also has been recovered. After recovering the GPF amount the Balance amount is 1,50,000/-.which is to be paid.
As we are eligible for the pension of my mother, we asked about that, now they say that the amount has to be paid and then only the pension process will be started.
In view of the above mentioned details i request you to help me to find the best solution.can the above amount can be waived under sympathetic grounds (If so) kindly elaborate the process.And if i got the JOB under compassionate grounds then my both GRAND PARENTS(Parents of My mother) will become my dependents or Not If yes tell me how to ask the administration.

Kindly do the need full sir, i will be grateful for your help and expecting the solution for the above. Reply me at
Anonymous said…
I posted a comment on 28th April, 13. When I needed my Child Care Leave for the care of my Child in his sickness and exams, I was deprived of my aforesaid leave and whenever, under compelling circumstances, I availed this leave, my pay was deducted. This was when the same sanctioning authority sanctioned leave for 11 other employees under similar circumstances. Out of all 12 employees, only my son has medical history in his childhood. What will DOPT do to get me my pay back? Can DOPT tell me if deduction of my pay and allowances is justice or injustice with me?
ashu said…
Our daughter is of 3 months, & she is underweight as comparison to other children of her age. So we are being advised by the pediatrician of a recognized govt. Hospital to bring her for checkup every week, till she promotes her growth. My posting is in u.p., & we are getting our daughter's treatment done from my native place Delhi. I have applied for the ccl with my school's principal but he denied. Then I had written an application to our regional office with the medical prescription attached with it. They have granted me the leave & sent a letter to the school. But now principal is refusing to give me the ccl alloted letter from the regional office. So kindly help me & tell me what to do.
Smt Rindha said…
Two year block LTC to Home town should be made admissible during CCL as this would facilitate female employees to take their children along with to Home town only to enable their rearing/ taking case during Medical treatment etc as more physical help from kith and kin is required in certain cases of ailments. Especially for those women whoa re employed in PAra military forces
Keerti said…
I have only child as girl who is September 1995 born (Completed 18 yrs). I have availed less than 200 days CCL. Is there any provision for availing CCL for major single girl child?
Anonymous said…
Stenographers are attached to the officers directly, their work is tedious, taking down the dictation and typing it out and not like LDC/UDC who route their files through Assistants/Sr.Clerks. Hence stenographers payscale should be higher than the LDC/UDC payscale. Kindly consider the matter.Special Allowance may also be given to the stenographer
Anonymous said…
Hi,it's gagan working as sister grade-2 since 12 years.I have a only child age 4 years suffered from febrile convulsions which can persist upto 5 years of age.right now my husband is posted to Bangkok on deputation posting for 2 years upto November 2015 and my child is staying and studying in son's all study expenditure is provided by his company.I had applied for 1year child care leave to take care of my small child in Bangkok.but all time I am harassed for child care leave and I considered absent by my institute every time everytime my leave is rejected due to shortage of staff.but in same institute only influential are getting the leave like doctors,clerical staff etc.but nurses cannot get the dis justice for being mother of small child and if I will not go for one year what action institute can do.please do a favor.
Unknown said…
Hi, i am select for the post of ldc through ssc in cpwd departmant in 2013 and i leave in delhi but the concerned departmant join me to out of station and my husband service in delhi police I have 10 months baby and the concernd authority say you cannot grant ccl during the provision period please give me sir, advice
Sunanda said…
Hi, I have I have Joined as a Canteen Employee in EPFO on 7-Feb-2007. But, I haven't received Confirmation Letter till now. AM I ELIGIBLE FOR CCL( Child Care Leave). Please clarify my question.
Anonymous said…
Hi, I have joined as central govt,. employee in Dec. 22, 2015, can i avail CCL from march 2016 to june 2016...if my sanctioning authority is satisfied with my conditions??
As written in the clause dat during probation it is granted there any limit for minimal leaves or it is as per the authority?
Plz help asap

Popular posts from this blog

Central Government Office Holiday List 2023 - DoPT Order PDF Download

7th CPC Pay Fixation on Promotion/MACP Calculator with Matrix Table

Revised Pay Scale from 1.7.2017 for Karnataka Govt Employees