Department of Personnel and Training once again published the detailed clarifications as ‘Frequently Asked Question’ on CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE SCHEME (CEA)…


Children Education Allowance Scheme – Clarification
Clarification on Children Education Allowance and Hostel Subsidy - DOPT Order

Frequently Asked Question :-






Whether Reimbursement of Children Education Allowance (CEA) for 3rd child is permissible if CEA has not been claimed for 1st and or 2nd child? As per OM dated 2.9.2008 CEA is admissible for two school going children does it mean any two school going children?

As per OM No.12011/03/2008-Estt.(AL) dated 11.11.2008, the Children Education Allowance would be admissible for more than two children in case the number of children exceeds two as a result of the second child birth resulting in twins or multiple birth. This implies that the CEA will be admissible only in the case of two eldest surviving children and CEA for third or subsequent child will only be permissible if there is a case of multiple birth at the time of second child birth. Further, reimbursement of CEA for the 3rd child is admissible in case of failure of sterilization operation.


What are the fees that are reimbursable? Whether Development Fees, Annual Charges, Transportation Fees are reimbursable? Reimbursement towards purchase of school bag, water bottle, uniform, shoes and stationary is admissible?

As per OM No.1211/03/2008-Estt.(AL) dated 2.9.2008, tuition fee, admission fee, laboratory fee, special fee charged for agriculture, electronics, music or any other subject, fee charged for practical work under the programme of work experience, fee paid for the use of any aid or appliances by the child, library fee, games/sports fee and fee for extra-curricular activities are reimbursable subject to the condition that the aforementioned fee are charged by the school directly from the student. Besides, reimbursement for purchase of one set of uniforms prescribed by the school in which the child is studying, one pair of shoes, in an academic year are reimbursable. Uniform include all items of clothing prescribed for a day, as uniform by the school, irrespective of colours/winter/summer/PT uniforms.


Whether CEA has been increased by 25% as a result of enhancement of Dearness Allowances beyond 50%?

This Department's OM No. 12011/03/ 2008-Estt.(AL) dated 2.9.2008 clearly indicates that the limits "would be automatically raised by 25% every time the Dearness Allowance on the revised pay structure goes up by 50% . There is no need for any separate order from this Department to effect enhancement of CEA as a result of increase in D A by 50%. However, O.M. No. 12011/01/2011-Estt.(Allowance) dated 4th May, 2011, has been issued to clarify this further.


Whether CEA can be claimed for the child for the same class twice?

The reimbursement of CEA is not linked to the performance of the child in his class. Even if a child fails in a particular class, the reimbursement is permissible. However, if the child is admitted in the same class in another school, although the child has passed out of the same class in previous school or in the mid- session, CEA shall not be reimbursable.


Whether Hostel subsidy is reimbursable irrespective of transfer liability?

Hostel Subsidy is reimbursable to all Central Govt, employees for keeping their ward in the Hostel of a residential school away from the station in which the employee is posted or residing irrespective of any transfer liability.


Whether the admissible amount on account of CEA can be reimbursed in full to a Govt. servant in the first quarter of the financial /academic year itself.

A Govt. servant is allowed to get 50% of the total amount subject to the overall annual ceiling in the first quarter and the remaining amount in third and or fourth quarter. Frontloading of the entire amount in the first and second quarters is not allowed.


Whether any age limit has been prescribed for reimbursement of CEA in respect of children studying in nursery classes.

There is no minimum age prescribed for reimbursement of CEA in respect of children admitted in nursery classes. However, with regard to physically challenged children the minimum age of 5 (five) years has been prescribed. The maximum age for normal child is 20 years and for physically challenged children the maximum age is 22 years.


Whether the school/institution should be recognized?

The school/institution has to recognized by the Central or State Government or UT administration or by University or a recognized educational authority having jurisdiction over the area where the institution is situated.


Whether CEA is payable for the children of Central Government employees and studying abroad, including children of citizens of Nepal/Bhutan but working in Government of India, and the children are studying in the schools in their native place, i.e., Nepal/Bhutan?

The CEA is payable for the children of all Central Government employees including citizens of Nepal and Bhutan, who are employees of Government of India, and whose children are studying abroad. However, a certificate may be obtained from the Indian Mission abroad that the school is recognized by the educational authority having jurisdiction over the area where  the  institution  is  situated.


Anonymous said…
CEA should be reimburshed only after production of original receipt of querterly fees to the schools.No other receipt in original in respect of other expenditure should be initiated as this leads to clerical harassment to the employees during submission of claims.As the expenditure towords education is always higher than amount admissible there is no need keep these useless papers on record.
Anonymous said…
Cost of transportation of child to school and back should also be included in reimburshment of CEA as some schools have included the same in monthly fee structure.This will benifit the employees who sends their child to Kendriya Vidyalayas or Govt. Schools which have no transport facilities and monthly fees are quite less than that of other schools
parmod kumar said…
Well I have a query about the Hostel subsidy..

I want to confirm that if a govt. servant is working in Ranchi Jharkhand and His wards are studying in residential school/ full day and night hostel in his home town i.e. hyderabad or any other state or city where his family is living in individual own home . Does he is applicable for claim the hostel subsidy.
Anonymous said…
is there any fee return for pg students whose their fathers working in railway employees

Popular posts from this blog

Central Government Office Holiday List 2023 - DoPT Order PDF Download

7th CPC Pay Fixation on Promotion/MACP Calculator with Matrix Table

Revised Pay Scale from 1.7.2017 for Karnataka Govt Employees